project dev journal 01

Ive been keeping log of the things that Ive been doing for the prototype and the project itself. This is the first of the development journals which will list and describe the process Ive been going through.

Upon creating the idea behind the project I focused on the technical aspects of the project, on what environment I am to design the application. We have discussed the possibility of using Unity Game Engine which supports and builds apps for IOS devices. It uses an interface similar to Maya, a 3d design program which I’m quite familiar with. Some design ideas were not to use any textures due to performance issues and use a simple GUI that will guide the user.

After our final presentation on the project proposals, we’ve decided to scrap the chatroom idea and replaced it with a AR idea: use markers as identifiers. This decision was given due to the fact that 3g connection is rather slow on the school campus and the GPS pinpoint technology is inaccurate not that sensitive. The idea is to enable users to pinpoint their locations via these markers on the map.

http://unity3d.com/

here are some AR projects on iphone
http://www.augmentedplanet.com/2010/05/iphone-augmented-reality-marker-t…

a useful toolkit I found for iphone:
http://www.morethantechnical.com/2009/07/01/augmented-reality-on-the-iph…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: